Tuesday, July 5, 2016

DIY Upholstered Bed Frame


Upholstered beds are so beautiful.  I purchased an expensive one years ago.  Once it was delivered, I decided that I could build one just as beautiful at a fraction of the price.

So... two years ago, I built a gorgeous upholstered bed - frame and headboard.  When I started looking up tutorials online on how to build an upholstered frame and upholstered headboard, I wasn't able to find much. Unfortunately, I didn't write down what I did so I am writing it all down this time!  I built that bed with 2 x 12s, but it was so heavy to move (very sturdy though) that I decided to build this one with 1 x 12s.  I built the first bed for my guest room, but my niece loved it so much I gave it to her for her 16th birthday.

I hope this tutorial helps you.  All measurements are for a Queen bed (60" x 80"), but you can easily adjust the measurements for any size bed.  Just add 2" for width and 2" for length of mattress.

Bed Frame Materials:


WOOD:

  • (2) 1 x 12 x 12 - (2) pieces cut at 82" and (2) pieces cut at 62.  Each board will get you 1 piece cut at 82" each and 1 piece cut at 62".  
  • 2 x 2 - 2 pieces at 75" each
  • 2 x 4 - cut to 2" width and 4" length.  These will be used for supports for the legs.
  • 1 x 4 - cut to 61.5" length for bed slats.
HARDWARE:
MATERIAL:
  • Batting (4 yards)
  • Fabric of your choice (4 1/8 yards).  I calculated this for completely wrapping the inside and outside of all rails.  I used this fabric.
I purchased the wood at Home Depot.  While I do have a nice table saw, circular saw and jigsaw at home, I don't have a truck to haul large pieces (I have a convertible).  I asked them to cut all of the pieces and they fit just fine in my car (with the top down).




To begin, you need the 2 pieces of 1 x 12 x 82 wood and the 2 pieces of 1 x 2 x 75 wood.  

Measure 1" up from the bottom on the 82" pieces of wood and mark a straight line.  This is where you glue the 75" (1 x 2) piece for support of the mattress.  
Place the 75" piece against the 82" piece with the 2" side out (for mattress support).  
Use wood glue and place clamps on to hold the pieces in place.  
Drill pilot holes, then use the 2" screws to go through the support pieces to the 82" rail.  I placed them about every 12" apart.  Now the clamps can be removed.



Next, install the bed hardware from Rockler Woodworking.  This hardware is great and enables you to take the bed apart easily when moving to another location.  You don't need to drill pilot holes here.  Hold the end pieces next to the side pieces and measure where you want the hardware.

This piece is installed on the rails.



This piece is installed on the head and foot pieces.




So they fit together like this:



I like a tall bed so I purchased 8" legs so I could use the space under the bed for storage.  I needed something for the legs to attach.  I took a piece of 2 x 4 scrap wood and cut it to fit into the space, attached it in using 2" screws and wood glue, then attached the leg using these screw-on leg fasteners. 
















Cut (4) bed slats to 61.5" in length.  These will be your mattress support pieces.  Attach your Bed Claw support legs (or your 2 x 4s) to each one at the correct length.





This is the bed frame, built, but not upholstered yet.




Cover each rail with batting, then fabric, using your pneumatic stapler and you are finished with the bed frame!



Price breakdown:




To see the Upholstered Headboard that goes with this frame, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment